Tuesday, March 9, 2010

The Last Slice

I just had to share this with you.  
This is the last slice of my ham and spinach tart from last night's dinner.  It was beyond delicious!
I'm actually eating it right now as I post this...
Simple and easy to switch up depending on what's in your fridge.
The recipe (adapted from the very cute Jamie Oliver!):
1 ready made frozen pie shell (you can make your own but making dough has brought me to tears in the past so I avoid it at all costs!)
olive oil
1 red onion peeled and finely sliced
1 clove of garlic, peeled and chopped
12 oz of spinach (I used frozen and it worked beautifully)
1/2 cup of milk
1/2 cup of double cream (I know, this is full of fat but it is soooo good)
3/4 cup of grated parmesan cheese plus extra for on top
5 large eggs (I use organic)
about 3/4 cup of diced ham
Prick the frozen pie shell all over with a fork and bake your crust in a preheated 375 degree oven for 6-8 minutes.  This is called baking it blind and it helps to prevent your crust from going all soggy.
While this is baking, heat a tablespoon or so of olive oil in a frying pan and fry the onions over low heat for about 10 minutes until they are soft.  Turn up the heat and add your garlic and spinach and cook until the spinach has wilted - this will only take a couple of minutes.  Remove from heat.
To make the filling, put the double cream and milk into a bowl, stir in the cheese, eggs and some salt and pepper.  Mix until incorporated.  
To assemble:
Layer the spinach mixture over the pastry and spread to ensure it covers the entire bottom.  Sprinkle the ham over the spinach and then spoon over the egg mixture and smooth it all out with the back of a spoon.  Sprinkle extra parmesan over the top.
Bake in preheated 375 degree oven for about 20-30 minutes or until the top is golden and the filling has set.
Seriously easy and seriously delicious.  Try it with sun-dried tomatoes or different cheeses.  I think this is one recipe that can be adjusted to your taste.  Follow the basic recipe as a guideline and have fun!
Enjoy...

1 comment:

  1. Mm this looks so good, I definitely have to try it! Thanks for sharing the recipe!

    ReplyDelete