Thursday, February 4, 2010

Better than Banana Muffins!!

So really, what is better than a freshly baked banana muffin (unless you don't like bananas!)? A banana muffin with chocolate chips, of course!
 The truth is, my daughter is the only one who will sit down and eat a whole banana; the rest of us are kind of on the fence!  Don't get me wrong, I'll take a banana baked in just about anything...it's more the texture (you know what I mean). So this means I always end up with a bunch of over-ripe bananas that I throw in the freezer for when we need a new batch of muffins or bread.  
I love walnuts in my muffins but of course with the allergies at school and the fact that you have to chew them too much (as per Liv) I opt to leave them out.  What I throw in in place of those nuts though is a whole lot of chocolate!  Give these a try next time your freezer is bursting at the seams or you want to give your kids something semi-nutritional as a snack or quick breakfast.
recipe adapted from Robin Hood Flour Cook Book
Recipe: 
1 3/4 cups flour           1 cup mashed ripe bananas  (about 3)
1/3 cup sugar               1/3 cup canola oil(substitute coconut oil 
3 tsp. baking powder                                             or applesauce)
1/2 tsp. salt                  1/4 cup milk (substitute yogurt or sour cream)
1/2 tsp. nutmeg           1 egg
3/4 cup chocolate       2 tsp. lemon juice 
  chips (or walnuts)                               


Preheat oven to 400 degrees F
Spoon flour into a dry measuring cup. Level off and pour into mixing bowl. Add sugar, baking powder, salt and nutmeg; stir well to blend.  
Combine the banana, oil, milk, egg and lemon in a small bowl and beat until combined (you can use a rotary beater if you wish).
Add the liquid ingredients all at once to the dry ingredients. Stir until moistened and then fold in the chocolate chips!
Fill lined muffin tins 2/3 full and bake at 400 for 20-25 mins.
Makes 1 dozen muffins.

2 comments: